Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The "Giving" Tree

Cali named this project, probably after this book (which is really not about the same thing) or possibly in reference to Thanksgiving. I wanted to start this project for the whole month of November and have each family member add a leaf every day of something they are Thankful for. How do you explain thankful to pre-schoolers? Try... "What do you really really love so much?", "What do you want to always have forever?", "What makes you really happy?", "What would make you sad if it went away?" Explain we are thankful for those things that make us happy, the things we wouldn't want to be without, the things that we have that others may not. That we are thankful not just for physical objects like toys, but things like our health, friendships, sunny day, rainbows, etc. I think Cali was quite surprised to hear that some kids may not even have a house, or warm clothes, or shoes, or food to eat. I don't think its ever too early for your kids to learn to be thankful, to be kind, caring, compassionate and giving. And you certainly don't have to wait until Thanksgiving Day to talk about the things you are thankful for and why.

Here is our "Giving" tree.. made from brown construction paper & multi-colored leaves cut with fancy-edged scissors. Each day we choose a leaf and write one thing we are thankful for, then I add an initial and date for each one to keep track of who said what. So far we have... my little ponies, good friends, pumpkins, choo-choos, ice cream, a full pantry, our health, mommy, playing outside, music, the internet, drawing... I'll let you try to guess who said what :)


Added bonus: Cali loves this project so much, she insists on writing her own words on the leaf each day so she gets a little writing practice out of it too.

3 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

i love it! I have been thinking of doing something like this with my kiddos... they do one at school and all the students write something that they are grateful for on a leaf. it's awesome!

alexandra s.m. said...

I love it! Thank you for teaching your children about gratefulness <3

jen@odbt said...

Great idea - I'm going to borrow this and create one for us. I think it's good for kids to appreciate and show gratitude.