Monday, May 2, 2011

Garden Grown

Sorry to leave you hanging... I got overwhelmed with the photo updates when I thought about how many photos I had from December. Not to mention, life just plain gets busy. Spring also happens to be my very favorite season and I spend every minute possible outside enjoying it... despite the fact I have really awful seasonal allergies. I did spend a solid week in complete hayfever misery before heading back to the doctor to up my allergy meds. The problem is, I do love Spring and the great outdoors so much that I just can't help myself and refuse to stay indoors hiding from the pollen. On the contrary I was outside with my hands in the dirt and my nose and eyes fully exposed to the yellow clouds of misery.

My parents were always gardeners, and I spent many an Alaskan summer day pulling weeds or picking peas... even if it was my birthday. Although I also have fond memories of being allowed to go across the street from the community gardens to the empty fields (where a mobile home park used to be) to chase baby grasshoppers and eat wild strawberries to my heart's content. Well, thanks to that upbringing and David's Dad also being a gardener, we just couldn't help ourselves. Even in our very first, newlywed, one bedroom apartment we grew some plants in pots on a workbench in our garage.

Thanks to Dave's handiwork we now have our biggest garden yet, consisting of 4 large raised beds, two rain barrels, a compost bin, and a gated fence to keep Huey out. When people ask "What do you have planted?" I just say "everything."

Technically though, since March we have planted: radishes, carrots, lettuce, spinach, onions, shallots, potatoes, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, soybeans, green beans, cabbage, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin, yellow squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, jalapeno, purple tomatillos, strawberries, several herbs.. that might be all... wait, today we planted corn.

Putting worms in the garden, shortly after the initial planting at the beginning of March.


She's got a wiggly one!


More recent garden pics, notice the hidden eggs?


Broccoli, that has all been eaten by now. You can see it newly planted in the worm pics above.

Bunches of pea pods have grown since this pic. Cali checks daily for ones that are ready. She never liked cooked peas but has now declared that these fresh ones taste like candy!!

3 comments:

Team Manager said...

Love the garden pics. I am quite jealous. Maybe one of these years I can take up gardening. Wonder if these black thumbs can turn green?!?!

Woolverton Girl said...

Love your gardens! I cant see all the pics, but I can imagine them :)Ours is doing pretty well, too. I guess I should take some pics.

Heavy Petal said...

Love those raised beds! And the story about your Alaskan childhood - I love hearing how people got into gardening :)