Friday, October 5, 2007

What I'm Reading

  • How to Behave so Your Preschooler Will Too - Wanted to get some extra insight on the whole discipline thing, its not my forte and how should I know how to do it if I've never done it before right? I've always learned best from reading so I decided to just pick up whatever discipline books they might have at my local library. Its a winner, I really like it so far. As one amazon reviewer put it, its "just right -- neither too hard nor too soft. [The Author] acknowledges that children sometimes need to be punished so that they can learn the boundaries of acceptable behavior; but he's eager to help you become your child's ally and tutor in learning right from wrong." I do disagree about using the bathroom for time-out (which the author concurs is not a good idea for potty-trainers), but that's easy enough to change to our own needs. So far I've learned that I have the right ideas, its just remembering to use them, staying consistent, having patience, and having the proper expectations for her age. I've been trying out the "no whining" techniques this morning and they are working great! First you don't tell them "no whining" because that just plants the idea of whining into their head, what you want to do is tell them what they SHOULD do. For example I tell her "I don't understand when you're whining, please use a nice voice" or "I don't listen to whining, I can help you when you ask nicely." Works like a charm... well as much as any charm would work on a 2 year old. But you get the picture, it helps.

1 comment:

Jessica Ryan said...

I have heard that if you yourself, the parent, has a tantrum -- kicking, screaming, shouting NONONONO! -- your toddler may stop... perhaps forever! LOL