Saturday, August 2, 2008

Warning: May Contain Squash

We have no shortage of yellow squash and zuchinni these days thanks to our lovely garden. We only have 3 plants but that is more than enough for our little family. I'm trying to use it up wherever I can so in the past week I've snuck it into:

  • Scrambled Eggs
  • Mac N Cheese
  • Homemade Pizza
  • Fettuccine Alfredo
  • Muffins
Muffins are always a big hit here, Cali even considers it dessert. Here's my recipe:

Oatmeal Zuchinni Muffins
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oats
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 eggs
1 zuchinni, shredded (I used 1 small zuchinni and half a medium yellow squash)
3/4 cup oil

Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. In medium bowl beat eggs slightly, add squash and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until moist, batter may be lumpy. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

The nuts, flaxseed and cranberries are optional but recommended!!