This morning I heard a bit of a commotion from Cali, when I came to see the problem she told me there was a big bug in her bathroom but she "was brave" and looked close enough to see it was a "grasshopper".. Really, it was a cricket but she still insists on calling it a grasshopper. I say still because when I asked the kids how I should go about catching him Cali quickly suggested our bug jar. So yes I went all the way out to the garden, got the jar, and came back in to catch him. He got to hang out with them for a bit then I suggested we at least put the jar in the garage when we left for the morning. Well in the meantime Cali has named him "Grassy" and he is still alive & well in the bug jar out in the garage. I figured I better look up what they eat so he can at least live a few more days and as it turns out, pet crickets sound pretty simple...
1) Get them a jar (at the least) or a small aquarium with a tight lid
2) They are omnivorous; feed them fruits, vegetables, cat/dog food, and oats
3) They will drown in a dish of water so provide water via a small wet rag, sponge or cotton pad instead
For more info, visit my source here.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Pet Cricket
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















2 comments:
You're brave. We get some big crickets in our basement that are too scary to keep as pets. My husband does catch & release though.
Good mommy! You now know how to nurture a cricket too :). You have a cute blog. Thanks for visiting mine!
Post a Comment