Monday, August 25, 2008

Commissary Shopping

Sure is nice to get the big monthly grocery trip done without the little ones in tow. Even though it still takes a full evening to prep for the big trip: clipping/organizing coupons, makings meal plans, checking the pantry, writing the list*, taking strollers out of the Trailblazer, loading in all the recycling... At least I didn't have to pack all the drinks, snacks, and entertainment for the kiddos. Not to mention lug along all their other accessory items. I actually walked into the store with nothing more than my "little" purse and my stash of reusable bags. Somehow it still took an hour and over $200 but the difference is really the amount of time I get to spend actually looking at the items, comparing prices and nutrition labels as opposed to keeping the kids entertained and content. Fun times.

*I don't really "write" my lists, I created an Excel spreadsheet grocery list of the Commissary in order of how the store is organized with all my most common items listed. I just checkmark and/or highlight the items I need and write-in others. I also list my meal ideas on the side so I make sure I get everything I need for those. If anyone's interested I'll figure out how to post it or I could e-mail it to you.

1 comment:

Woolverton Girl said...

My mom does the spreadsheet thing too. I on the other hand never make a list :) I just go and buy what I think we need.