Monday, August 4, 2008

Don't Trust the Quaker Man




I'm pretty upset with Mr. Quaker man right now. Cali happens to really love instant Strawberries & Cream oatmeal. We're all out and we only have peach which she won't have any part of. So I go to buy her some more and since I'm working on replacing our processed foods that have HFCS with ones that do not contain HFCS I for once read the ingredient list. Now I've been eating this stuff since I was probably Cali's age and she's had it plenty of times already so I was a bit shocked at what I found out... Quakers Instant Strawberries & Cream oatmeal DOES NOT CONTAIN STRAWBERRIES. Yep, no joke. It does however contain some lovely bits of apple painted red and soaked in artificial strawberry flavor. Oh yeah and there's no such thing as blueberries in the Blueberries & Cream either or peaches in the Peaches & Cream. Again, dyed and flavored apples. What a rip off! Not to mention just a bunch of added crap nobody really needs to eat. I

f I wanted apples in my instant oatmeal I'd buy me some Apples & Cinnamon flavor, thankyouverymuch. Oh and by the way the Apples flavor proudly proclaims right on the front of the box: Made with REAL Apples! So if you were at Wal-Mart this evening around 9:30 PM and saw a lady in the oatmeal aisle staring at the boxes with her mouth hanging open, shaking her head in disgust that was me! Honestly, I thought I could trust that nice looking Quaker man, but no more. I already quit buying his Oatmeal To Go and Chewy granola bars because of the HFCS.

Oh and if you're wondering what Cali will have for breakfast instead, I got some Village Farm No Sugar Added Whole Grain Oatmeal with REAL blueberries listed as the 2nd ingredient (after oats). We'll see if its edible. I'll keep you posted.


3 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

Hi Andrea,
Perhaps Cali should try making her own cereal with mummy. she could put some organic oats,some melted butter and honey in the oven and then add some dried strawberries or peaches et voila!! Wholesome, cheaper and so awesome when it's homemade?!
alexox

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, i've been stalking your blog for a long time, but have been too lazy to sign up so i can leave messages. I finally broke down this morning! :) The oatmeal story is so surprising and disappointing!!! UGH! I love staw./cream too!

Jessica Ryan said...

You know I saw all that crap that the quaker man puts in many years ago. I make the "real" stuff! It may take a few minutes longer but it's better for you, we can put whatever we want in it and boy is it ever better tasting!