Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Icy Cold Fun

Cheap, easy, chilly entertainment. It's 95+F every day here now so this is how I've been entertaining the kids when we need a break from sidewalk chalk, bubbles and the kiddie pool. Today it gave me chance to weed the yard for a bit then a nice refresher when I was all done.
You will need recycled plastic containers of various sizes or plastic storage containers. Really anything you can freeze water in. I really like the square edamame trays we get from Sam's Club and applesauce cups or yogurt containers. Ice from the freezer is fine too, but smaller ice melts quickly and then the fun's over. When I give them the freezer ice cubes they call them "minnows" and have fun catching them out of the (emptied) sand table. Make a variety of shapes & sizes. The bigger chunks will have to freeze for several hours so its best to stock up your freezer the day/night before.

Once you have the ice ready give them the fun of figuring out how to get it out of the containers. Then you can...

  • break big chunks into smaller ones
  • draw on the sidewalk like you would with chalk
  • get hands/feet wet and make prints on the sidewalk
  • give yourself a chill by putting the ice on your toes, nose, belly, neck, etc.
  • pretend its a bar of soap and give yourself an ice bath
  • try stacking into a tower or attempt an ice castle (depending on the ice and your kids interest/determination level)
  • mention the properties of water and point out that as the ice gets hot it melts and turns back into water, then as the water gets hot it turns to vapor and diappears from the sidewalk
  • add food coloring (just a drop!) for added fun, beware of potential stains
  • toss chunks of ice into the kiddie pool or bathtub, if you use two colors point out how the color changes as they mix
If you have any more icy ideas please leave a comment!

2 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Great ideas. I've seen posts where folks freeze little plastic animals in with the water so that it makes melting the ice more fun.

Andrea said...

That's great Jen! I have a thousand of those laying around.