Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fall Garden

Started on my fall garden several weeks ago. Vanessa & I attended a gardening workshop at our local library put on by Master Gardeners from our area and I learned quite a few things. First of all, I needed to amend my soil. So I got in with my shovel, pitchfork and hoe and worked in some perlite (to hold moisture) and compost to add nutrients (among other benefits). This was the first batch of compost out of our new bin and I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. For now I have two beds all worked up so I planted gourds, yard-long beans, peas, carrots, spinach, lettuce, red onions, and yellow onions. I still need to work up the third bed and plant at least some broccoli & cauliflower.. not sure what else.



2 comments:

Woolverton Girl said...

WOW! Your stuff is growing great! Mine is still just soil. I guess I need to add some compost and a little more perlite. I think I'm gonna' look for some plants instead of seeds and put some mulch on top of my garden, too. Man, I've got a lot of work to do out there.

alexandra s.m. said...

wow! looking good! keep us informed with the progress!
xox