Saturday, January 16, 2010

Follow Instructions Carefully

Our favorite train station hosts a monthly family day and this weekend they had some folks from Lowe's to share their "Build & Grow" project. Today we got to make firetrucks. By "we" I mean "mommy" and by firetrucks I mean I made (or attempted) four of them. I thought I was doing pretty well jumping back and forth helping Cali & D with each step. There were tiny nails to put in tiny holes and big hammers to pound them in with. Not much an almost 3 and a 4 year old could really do. They helped where they could but it was truly minimal. So I got all the way to the part where I have my axle in and discover I had put on the entire bottom piece upside down, there was no hole for the axle to go into. Also I forgot to align the holes for the hose reel. And the bumper and siren got mixed up (although that wasn't entirely my fault). Long story short they gave me two more kits to start over on. I decided to pay better attention and maybe glance at the instruction sheet a bit more. Third times a charm right? Nope, I put the side piece on the wrong way again. Kids have completely lost interest and are exploring the exit and fire alarm (ok just Diego did that). I go ask if I can pry off the side, they offer me another new kit. I say no thanks, I'm already on my 3rd one. I manage to pry off the side and attempt to re-attach it properly. My nail goes through the bottom. I give up on that one. I start over and figure they can just share this one if I ever manage to not screw it up. My dear friend Dana comes to the rescue, hers is done and she salvages my #3. I finally manage on the fourth try to produce a decent fire truck. Kids are happy, I've learned my lesson.

4 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

adorable ;-)

jen@odbt said...

Good for you to keep at it...I probably would have thrown in the towel after the first one. They turned out really cute!

Trisha said...

Hello Andrea! Thanks for commenting to my blog. I'm near Abilene:) Where are you?

Trisha said...

Thank you so much, Andrea! I will certainly keep that in mind:)