Thursday, January 28, 2010

I've Been Sewing

When I'm not at my computer desk in the evenings, I'm often right over here at my scrap desk...

I do think I could win a prize one day for World's messiest scrapbooker. Well, last week I got really inspired by all of these links and grabbed my sewing machine for a little experimenting. Before you go any further I have to warn that I am terrible at sewing, I know how to physically work the machine and that's about it. Its not for my Mom's lack of trying though, I just never took her up on offers to learn how. Now I wish I had! Instead I learned from my husband who learned from the Army, of all things!

First I was really eager to try this sweater dress made from a $3 Goodwill sweater. It turned out pretty ok, but I was terrified of the whole sleeve process. I just tried it anyway and they look decent but are too tight. She tried it on for me but hasn't worn it again, I will have to re-do the sleeves somehow.

Next I found this El-Cheapo Shirt Challenge and loved this easy Treasure Pocket Skirt. I actually would still wear this shirt but probably shouldn't its shapeless and baggy and faded. So I chose to make Stacy & Clinton proud and just cut it up. I thought it would be too short for my long-legged girl so I added some scrap fabric to the bottom for extra length. I keep thinking I want to add some kind of trim where the pink is attached to hide my terrible sewing. She loves this one and has worn it around the house quite a bit, so much that I already had to wash it twice.

And last was the easiest and my favorite of all. This was a shirt I got at Wal-Mart last summer for maybe $5. I must have been in some kind of colorful mood that day. I do love pink and brown. I may have worn it once. Since it already had a great shape to it and a nice embroidered collar detail I simple cut in on the sides and the neck to size it down for a Cali-size dress. Later in the week I even got adventurous enough to make Barbie a matching dress from the scraps.

I let Cali use my bathrobe the other day and now she wants one of her own (because it keeps her tummy warm), so maybe I'll try this next.

4 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Those are some great creations. Sewing is something I wish I could do.

alexandra s.m. said...

wow! Andrea! You did great ;-)
Thanks for showing and sharing all these really cool project and you have quite a fabulous model there ;-)

Have a great week-end my Friend!

Anonymous said...

love your site

Rosey in nYC said...

love the site