Thursday, October 16, 2008

Laugh Kookaburra Laugh

I really couldn't tell you where I ever heard this song but the only line I remembered is the "laugh, kookaburra, laugh" and there happened to be a Kookaburra in our new library book today so I had to look it up. Maybe this can be our new bedtime song, I'm running out of creativity for Cali's nightly request of "Hush a by, don't you cry, mommy's going to buy you something." That's a whole other story. Anyway here's the complete lyrics if you must know and if you go to the link you can listen to the music for it and see alternate verses.

Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,
Gay your life must be!

Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree,
Eating all the gum drops he can see.
Stop Kookaburra, stop Kookaburra
Save some there for me!

Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree,
Counting all the monkeys he can see.
Laugh Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra
That's not a monkey, that's me!

3 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

Hi Andrea!
Adorable! I could see how that would be so catchy!
alexox

Team Manager said...

I remember singing it in grade school music class. Maybe even during my year as a Campfire girl. We used to sing it in round fashion. I didn't remember the 2nd and 3rd versus though. Thanks for sharing.

Imcombobulated said...

I sang this one in grade school music class as well! My sister and I loved it and drove our poor mother batty with singing it on long car rides.

Thanks for the memory!