Monday, October 27, 2008

No More Mr. Mike

Back in the late 80s I fondly remember spending hours recording myself and my older brother (when he had nothing better to do) on our Playskool Mr. Mike cassette tape recorder with attached microphone. I couldn't tell you what we recorded but I remember it being highly entertaining at the time. I decided it would make a great present for Cali this year. The girl loves to talk, often creating elaborate stories and crazy made-up words. Well I started looking and found out pretty quick they are no longer in production. If you're lucky you can find one on Ebay for say $69+. I guess cassette tapes are a bit hard to find these days. One of those "if only we had kept it" gems.

So I hadn't given up completely on the concept but decided I'd forgo the original. Tonight I came across this new fridge gadget by LeapFrog and decided it would do the trick.

Its really nothing like Mr. Mike other than it will record and playback her voice, but I sure had a lot of fun playing with it. I think she will too. Check out this amazon link for the description. PS They are on sale at Target this week.

1 comment:

Woolverton Girl said...

That's crazy!! $70 is a bit excessive. Jason's Mom gave us one that she got at a garage sale. It wasn't a "Mr. Mike," but it was close. I'm not sure if we still have it though. Jason didn't want it because we don't have any tapes. It may still be in one of his boxes though. I'll have to check.