Monday, December 29, 2008

3 Foot Hole

Today I had the fun experience of helping dig two 3-foot holes in the backyard. It was oddly enjoyable. I think the challenge of it and seeing the progress and working toward an end goal made it all worthwhile. It was a nice way to burn off some holiday calories, say a good 624 of them per hour (no really, I looked it up). I figured out the best method is to get a nice pointy shovel, step on the top of the shovel head with all your weight and wiggle the shovel around to get the dirt loose (you'll need shoes for this). Then I used the kids' plastic sand scoop to remove the loose dirt. It took at least a good hour. Plus, I now have a greater understanding of just how tough it would be to tunnel out of prison. Three feet is a lot deeper than you might imagine, especially in this thick clay-rich TX soil. Just to give you some perspective how deep it really is check out this video.

Oh, you might still be wondering what the holes were for... we're building a swingset for the kiddos.

3 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

You made me giggle!
This video was a wonderful idea!
I see you guys are starting the new Year with a great project !

alexox

Tiffany said...

That's hilarious Andrea! HAHAHA!!! Hope you're all ready for 09!!!

XOXO
Tiff

Team Manager said...

Loved the video clip! Awesome job with the swing set. Happy New Year!