Monday, September 15, 2008

Toddler Travel

15+ Hours of Travel with two toddlers? Yep we did it. Left our home approx. 8:30 AM for 1.5 hour drive to the airport. Checked in, handed off our 2 suitcases and one cooler, headed for security with 5 carry-ons, a Graco stroller, a very active 18 month old and an almost-3-yr-old who was already asking to "go home". Cali cried when we had to put her favorite doll "Jodgie" on the security belt and asked "why" about 20 times when we had to take all our shoes off. Next we found some lunch (Scholtzsky's, which I'd never had - it was delicious!) then parked in an empty gate next to our boarding gate where the kids could watch all the action out the windows.

Flight 1: Austin to Atlanta approx. 2 hrs. Lots of squirming, looking out the window at clouds which Cali said was "snow", reading books and snacking. Not so bad. Arrive at Atlanta, ride the train to our terminal, find more food (Crystal Burger because it was closest, wouldn't recommend), more entertainment out the airport windows.

Flight 2: Atlanta to Seattle approx. 5 hours. Since D didn't take advantage of his usual naptime on the first flight I was hoping this one would involve a lot of sleeping and I could keep Cali entertained with all the books, etc. I had brought along. He wasn't interested in sleep. Not even with the Calms Forte, Tylenol or Teething Tablets we tried to "drug" him with. Note to self: Buy Benadryl for return trip! Finally after much unhappiness I stood up and lulled him to sleep then passed him off to Dave to hold. Cali started crying she wanted to "get out right now" and wanted to "go home" while we were still 10,000 feet in the air, still more than 2 hours away from Seattle. Once D fell asleep we got some peace though. Dave and I even entertained ourselves with the in-flight trivia game via the back of the headrest monitors. Cali made herself happy digging through my first-aid/toiletry items and tending to "Jodgie". Note to other parents: Bring empty medicine bottles, little tubes of diaper cream, and lots of band-aids! Also, fly Delta. They don't charge for the first checked bag, they still have free snacks and drinks, and one flight attendant was nice enough to offer us extra snacks, juice, and slipped a free bottle of wine to Mommy!!

Finally arrived at Seattle airport, found the awesome kid's play area and let them go wild. It was near midnight our time back home but they ran around like wild monkeys to their hearts content. Dave & I shared a delicious Mahi Mahi fish taco then we changed everyone into comfy long sleeves, put on socks & shoes (vs. sandals) and got our hats and jackets handy.

Flight 3: Seattle to Fairbanks approx. 3 hours. Cali was out like a light before we even took off. Diego wanted to bounce off the walls. Luckily there were empty seats so we got to spread out some. Finally got D to sleep by standing up again then he slept the rest of the way and I tried to make myself comfy. By the time we got the luggage and drove to my parent's home it was 1AM, making it 4AM back home. So I guess that's more like 20 hours of travel from our driveway to my parents.

4 comments:

Team Manager said...

Holy smokes! You deserve a medal. I hope you have an awesome time in Alaska. I can't wait to see the pics!!!

And what's with living here a few years and never trying Schlotzsky's? I could have told you it's yummy!

Midwest Miscellany said...

What a challenge! I got exhausted just reading. I hope the journey back will be totally uneventful.

Woolverton Girl said...

I really can't believe you've never had Schlotzsky's! I LOVE that place, although there is only one in Killeen and it's pretty out of the way. Like you I can't stand Krystal's burgers either. Sounds like an eventful trip, not too bad though.

Webinsider said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.