Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yuck! Grubs

Here in Texas its about time to plant a fall garden. After a succesful squash and cucumber season we're excited to get started. Last night we scrounged up some seeds. They're harder to find this time of year but we found most of what we wanted: leaf lettuce, mixed greens, spinach, radishes, broccoli, and garlic chives (Cali loves to eat the chives straight from the garden). I'd like to find some peas too and onions should do well too.

So, after lunch today we went out back and I started to work up one of our raised beds to get ready for the seeds. Unfortunately it was chock full of horrible, disgusting white grubs. Yuck! I can't stand these things they're so awful. There were 5 or 6 churning up every time I took a swipe with my little hand trowel. It was disgusting. I had a little plastic applesauce cup from the kids' sandbox and ended up picking out (with a shovel) as many as I could. The little cup was packed full and still more in the garden. I had to dump them in a bigger plastic tub as they were crawling out the top of the other. Ick! So of course I Googled the problem and found this link with some helpful advice. Just hope I can find the products ASAP so we can get our garden started!

PS I figured I'd spare you all the horrible picture. I could barely stand to look at them as it is.

No comments: