Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Green Eggs and Ham

Did you know this Seuss classic was the result of a bet?

"Bennett Cerf, Dr. Seuss’ editor, bet him that he couldn’t write a book using 50 words or less. The Cat in the Hat was pretty simple, after all, and it used 225 words. Not one to back down from a challenge, Mr. Geisel started writing and came up with Green Eggs and Ham – which uses exactly 50 words."

We read a lot of Dr. Seuss around here lately so this link on my Yahoo homepage caught my eye. Follow the link for more Dr. Seuss trivia.


2 comments:

Team Manager said...

At first I was thinking "no way, that book is more than 50 words long" but I see what you're saying now...only 50 words of the English language are used. Very interesting!

alexandra s.m. said...

well there you go again: I learned something new!! Thank you Andrea!
alexox