Thursday, May 21, 2009

Timer Tutorial

Since joining the "Where is Mom?" photo challenge I've been using my camera's self-timer more often and I thought I'd share HOW I use it and teach you how to set up a really cool feature you may not even know about.

Setting up your Continuous/Custom timer feature. This will allow you to take multiple timer shots without having to go back and press the button after each shot. I can only tell you how a Canon works, but hopefully it will help you find it on your camera too.
Turn on the camera in shooting mode.
Find and press the button that has a picture of a little timer. On Canons its on the arrow buttons.
Scroll over or down to the timer with a C next to it.

On the
Canon Rebel you can press the up/down buttons to choose anywhere from 2 to 10 continuous shots. I go for 10, since I figure that gives me the best chance of at least one good shot.
On the
Canon Elph scroll down to the timer with a C, hit Func/Set to select it, then hit MENU to change the settings. You can adjust the initial delay from 0 to 30 seconds, and take up to 10 shots.

In using the timer you need to search the area for a good place to set your camera. As I
learned the hard way you should be really careful where you take your camera especially if there is any source of water nearby. Possible objects to use include picnic tables, playground equipment, shelves, chairs, backpacks, rocks, pieces of drift wood, a folded up towel... we've even hung our camera from a nail in a tree. Just please be sure its secure before you let go of the camera.

Next, look at your view finder to frame the shot. If you can get one or two of your subjects to stand in the area you want the picture that will be great. Depending where you had to set the camera you may need to use the zoom. Make a mental note of where you will fit into the picture so you know where to run to. Before taking the picture make sure you have it on timer mode still, usually just press the timer button and make sure its on the timer mode you want then hit the shutter button and go get in the picture!

Here is an example gone wrong.. as you can see Diego was not cooperative in coming to sit in his spot. Maybe if it was set to 10 shots instead of 5 I would've gotten a good one. Either way its always fun to go back and see what shots you did capture. I hope you give it a try, and let me know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for the run down on how to use it I've been trying to use mine, so now I should be good, Hopefully, I'll let you know how I do!

More Than Words said...

I think those are so cool!!

I have a self timer on mine, and now it makes me want to try it out!

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

Hi,
You are a winner on the MMB. Please email us with your mailing information so we can get your goods to you.

The winner post will be up tomorrow.

Congrats,
~motherboard, mmb