Since Dave left us (not by choice) today, I wasn't reallly in the mood to cook dinner. Not to mention when its 100+F everyday I don't want to cook dinner anyway. I read (yet again) in a magazine recently (probably Wondertime) that its OK to have smoothies for dinner. Hooray! I have permission. The magazine also mentioned to add... was it wheat germ? or flaxseed? to boost the nutrient value. I don't remember but I do have flaxseed so that's what I used. Frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, vanilla yogurt, pineapple juice, milk, and flaxseed. The kids sipped them all down faster than I could make the other half of their dinner - pancakes. Not just any pancakes, but leftover pancakes. I finally figured out to save them, freeze them, and toast them (on low) rather than waste the leftovers. So along with our flaxseed smoothies we had a main course of leftover pancakes with peanut butter (Simply Jif) and a touch of honey. Bonus: I poured the extra smoothie into little plastic cups to make popsicles. By the way I'm on the hunt for some good HFCS-free popsicles for the kiddos. If you know of any please share.
Why did I have flaxseed anyway? Well because its good for you, high in... protein? I don't remember. But it is good for lowering cholesterol and you can add it to your baked goods, oatmeal, and now smoothies. Delicious.
On another note, I am also learning first-hand that when your husband gets back from Iraq and you think "Hurray! A whole year to spend together before they send him back"... well, that's not true. I've heard it isn't true, but now I know. They take a week here, ten weeks there, another 3 or 4 weeks after that, a year "back home" doesn't necessarily mean they get to STAY home.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Flaxseed Smoothies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















2 comments:
Sorry to hear Dave had to leave again. I hope you stay busy (not hard with 2 little ones, right?) and that the time goes by quickly.
I have no idea how you deal with that heat...YUCK! Alaska in September is going to feel COLD. :) So I was wondering if you grind up the flaxseeds before adding them to your smoothies? If you don't, they go right through our bodies...no benefits to eating them w/o grinding them first (i used to use a coffee grinder, but now use my Magic Bullet. Which by the way is totally AWESOME).
See link below for the many benefits of flaxseed.
www.womenfitness.net/benefits-flaxseed.htm
Post a Comment