Tuesday, June 17, 2008

How to Make Sidewalk Paint

I read this a week or so ago. Just trying to keep the kiddos entertained. They love to paint, I let them use their Crayola Washable Fingerpaints outside on the sidewalk. They can make all the mess they want then I hose 'em of or tell them to jump in the pool. The paint hoses right off the sidewalk too. Just be careful because it can get slippery - no running! The clean up can be fun too if you get them a big bowl/bucket of soapy water and clean sponges and let them join in. Fun, cheap, easy toddler entertainment. Anyway, we ran out of the Crayola fingerpaint and I kept forgetting to buy more (plus I'm cheap so I decided to find a homemade alternative).

If you ever need to make or do anything, look it up on ehow.com. Here is my simplified version:

1 part water
1 part cornstarch
food coloring

I mixed 1 cup water with 1 cup cornstarch, stir until dissolved. It is very watery. I bought 4 little clear travel shampoo bottles from the $1 store (2 for $1) and used a funnel to fill each one. I added the color after the "paint" was in the bottle, then
put on the lid and shook it up. Shake again before using, it stays very watery but the kids don't care. Use on sidewalk, use with brushes or just hands. My plan is to tack up a vinyl tablecloth to the fence and let them go for it. I think it'd be fun to put in spray bottles too.

Disclaimer: Don't ruin clothes with the sidewalk paint that you made. It contains food coloring which will leave a permanent stain. (My kids are usually naked, or in swimsuits for this. You can also buy a pack of plain white T's in a larger size for this purpose).

Click here for the link to the ehow.com directions.

UPDATE: This paint does not stick to vinyl, so skip the tablecloth idea and keep it on the sidewalk for best results :)
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


In this last photo you can see the fun effect of the paint turning gooey-er then eventually to powder as it dries in the sun. Fun stuff.

1 comment:

Jessica Ryan said...

Yay!!! It's good to see you back here! I will try this. Looks like fun. I have a "recipe" for Bubble Juice that works really well. Your kids will love it. It's on my blog under Bubble Juice!

Keep posting... I have missed learning somenthing new every day!