Friday, March 20, 2009

How to Upcycle

I'm sure everyone knows a thing or two about recycling, but have you ever upcycled? According to Wikipedia: Upcylcing is a component of sustainability in which waste materials are used to provide new products. It is generally a reinvestment in the environment. "Upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value."

At home you can upcycle by taking items you would usually toss, donate or send to the recycling bin and create something new and useful. I saw an article recently about creating reusable shopping bags out of old t-shirts and couldn't wait to try it. As I went through some of the kids' outgrown clothes this week I found several items I wanted to upcycle. I took two of Cali's little tanks tops and turned them into the cutest little bags in a matter of minutes (after I remembered how to use the sewing machine).

She used this one to store her dress-up shoes and took the other to the store to buy her new flip flops today then used it as a back pack when we visited our friends down the street.

I also created a pile of favorite shirts that she has outgrown with plans to "quilt" them into a blanket for her. I'm really not much of a sewer so I'll keep you posted on that one.

Also while I was browsing around on Photojojo.com I found this fantastic idea for upcycling old glass jars into picture frames. Really! So simple and I never, ever throw glass away so I already had the jars handy. I love it.



If you're looking for more inspiration to start upcylcing visit etsy.com or ehow.com and search "upcycled" and/or a specific item like "sheets" or "glass." I'd love to see what you come up with or if you already have projects to share please tell us about them.

4 comments:

Woolverton Girl said...

I love the bag, it's super cute. I remember her wearing that tank top, that's too funny!

Mrs. Davison said...

What a clever and useful way to reuse things. That is a good example to your children on taking care of the earth and being responsible. I hope people do recycle whenever they can. You're being a good mom whenever and always! Good job!

alexandra s.m. said...

I love these two ideas!!
Thank for sharing Andrea!
looks great!
xoxo
[asm

Jess said...

You really are a great sewer and I loved seeing Cali's new back pack when you guys were leaving the house. You do a great job with helping this "World" of ours, Thanks:)